Saturday 12 May 2012

Second Time Up, First time Bombing


Buoyed on by the success of my debut, I had booked in for 2 more sets. One was the 2012 Raw Comedy Quest which I’ll write about in the next blog, the other was a Raw Meat Monday in the later part of March. That was some way out from last set, about 6 weeks. I learned that the Monday nights fill up fast and you had to be quick if you wanted to get in again. They also have a free spot every Monday that goes to the first person to ask for it on the night at the venue. So after last time keeping it a secret, I decided that I’d just let James my best friend know, and my girlfriend Kim.
It’s Probably worth addressing here why I struggle with the thought of inviting friends to watch me. For me, the thought of some good friends sat in the audience is a hard one to get past, I’m afraid they’ll not enjoy it and think I wasn’t very good. I’m not wanting to be loved and lauded by all, but if I were to have a poor set, I hate the idea of losing face in front of a good friend or loved one. The second part to it is, I know these people and I know their sense of humour, and I know some of my stuff they won’t enjoy as much, it sounds silly but going up there and thinking of a friend sat in the crowd hearing stuff not to their tastes doesn’t appeal. I’ve since gotten over that to a degree but it does play on my mind.
So I get to the Fringe bar for this second set and see Rick from last week there, have a quick word and set off to see the run list and where Ill be performing. Oh goody, I’m up first. The good news is, the MC for the night is Gabriel Page, if you haven’t seen him before, he’s a musical comedian that sings twisted love songs. Now I’m no fan of musical comedy, most of the time I think its really clever but the actual material is weak. I’ve seen Gabe perform a few times including his 2011 festival show and can safely say his stuff was really funny as well as being clever so I was pretty pleased to have him MC’ing. About 15 mins to go and hardly anyone has shown up, it’s cold, windy and drizzly outside so it looks like it’s going to be a pretty poor crowd in. James shows up and has a chat to me, we make a few jokes about the abysmal looking turnout, I think it must have been pretty obvious to him though that I felt a bit uncomfortable and embarrassed by the low numbers. Kim came in not long after and said hi. At this stage I’m looking round and notice that, between the performers, the bar staff, the sound guys and the night organisers, we outnumber the actual punters. I’m feeling really disappointed by this, feels a bit ridiculous having Kim and James here when it looks to be a washout. Compounding my worry is the fact I’ve ditched my previous set to try all new stuff and I haven’t had any experience working a small crowd. It’s getting to the point where I’m feeling really apprehensive about the whole thing. James and Kim take a seat (no trouble securing a spot..) and I sit with them as Gabe takes the stage.
It might sound silly but I was really impressed with the way Gabe just got on with it, wasn’t affected by the numbers at all, he owned the stage. He had the swagger of an experienced comic that had done this all before for crowds of all sizes. Gabes opening lasted a while and I was silently going over my set in my head. He finished up to good applause, sounding like there were more people there than there was in reality.

I took to the stage when introduced, and once again my nerves disappeared instantly. I began my set and knew from the start that I wasn’t in for a repeat of my prior effort. I could hear everything happening in that place, the cash register opening, some bell going off in the distance, it was getting to me.  The other thing I could hear was Kim's laugh, not because she was being particularly loud but because there were that few people laughing that I could pick hers out, that really put me off, again not her fault but still. I was going along getting the odd good laugh, some chuckles but plenty of silence too. This was my first experience with something that still throws me a bit, waiting for a laugh and getting nothing. The other thing I noticed was a guy in the front row, leaning back on his chair, tapping the table and clearly not enjoying it. I was racing through my set, desperate to finish and that’s when I really messed up, I blanked. I was doing a joke about people that go off camping terribly prepared and get into trouble, the set up went fine, but when I got to the punch line I just couldn’t remember the next word... I stumbled over the last thing I'd said over and over again, sounding like a broken record.. "To avoid.. To avoid... To avoid..."
A voice piped up from the front row, it was a heckle! Josh Samuels (also on the bill that night) finished my sentence for me.. "Laughing" he said, the sentence obviously becoming "to avoid laughing". Well, no one needed any extra help avoiding laughing now. My first thought was "what a knob heckling me!"  but on reflection it was a blessing. He wasn't being mean spirited and by saying something he allowed me to stop rambling and actually move on. I didn’t "school" him like you see good comics do, but it really saved me from myself. I finished up to smattered applause and almost ran off stage, Usain Bolt wouldn't have beaten me back to my seat.

I took a seat with James and Kim but I knew it was poor, it was exactly the thing I feared most with inviting them. I felt pretty gutted that they had come out to see me, after my triumphant tales from last time, and that was what they saw. Gabe was doing another couple of songs but near the start of the second one he blanked, I was pretty surprised. He just forgot how his song went, but this was a lesson on how to blank for me, he admitted it, laughed it off, said "Fuck it!" And moved on. I pocketed that for when it next happened to me.  I can't remember who was up next, I was still digesting my own horror show. I certainly remember the following performer though.
She was a young girl about 19 or 20 and it was her first ever time up. I was only new myself so I could sympathise with her as she was plainly nervous. What followed however was an absolute howler of a performance.   
I've seen people die before but this was something else. I was bad, but this was a train wreck. She was just warbling on and on, like a truck that had a tire blow out and was now careening all over the road out of control, unable to stop. Joke after joke fell totally flat, not even a pity laugh. It was this high pitched rambling punctuated with big arm movements against a backdrop of silence. I felt for her but anyone there would tell you that there was a palpable sense of relief in the air when the set mercifully drew to a close. If it’s possible to be mauled by silence, we had all just witnessed it. She knew how awful it had gone and headed straight for the exit, wooshka! Off the stage and out the door! Poor girl, I'm not sure stand up was for her but it takes guts to get up there and she definitely deserves credit for getting up there.
Gabe bought some semblance of normality back to proceedings and bought on ... The guy who was looking bored in the front row! I couldn't believe it! Turned out he was Ben Stokes, an English guy that had been doing comedy for a little while. I'll be honest, I hoped he wasn't going to be funny.. Disappointingly for me he was quite good! I liked his material and while a few bits fell flat for him, you could tell he was a funny guy.
Rick was up next, not his greatest set but overall I thought he was again the best on the night. I was kind of relieved it was tough going for all, that might sound cruel, but I didn't want to be the one guy that blew it on an otherwise glittering night of stars.
Josh Samuels set was entertaining to say the least, he started well and had all the presence you'd expect from an experienced performer, he commanded the stage, played off the tiny audience like a pro and looked for all money like he was going to have a great set... Unfortunately for Josh, about halfway through, he found one of his jokes hilarious. He fell into hysterics quickly, then literally collapsed in a fit of laughter before eventually being forcefully removed from the stage to head to the green room to compose himself. It was hilariously entertaining but probably not what he'd envisaged for his set.
The nights closing act was Hadley Donaldson, I'd never seen Hadley but there was a good buzz around about him. The 10-minute spot at the end is for the more experienced comedians, Hadley had been on the scene for just under a year and I was looking forward to seeing him.
He blanked early on and never really recovered, he was doing it tough and allowed his internal monologue to vocalise, at one point saying "I'm just rambling on...". It was a poor set but I actually liked his ideas and was sure he'd be great on another night.

The evening came to a close, it had been a really tough night for all. At one point or another, every single act had lost train of thought and messed up a bit, some worse than others. On a personal note I was gutted, embarrassed that I'd gone poorly while my best friend and my girlfriend looked on. James told me it wasn't as bad as I thought but I could tell he was sugar coating it, in the coming days he was more honest which I appreciated, a true friend is going to be straight with you.

On the way out Hadley stopped me and said he liked my set, which was nice of him, I returned the compliment but he brushed it off. I knew how he felt, neither of us wanted a compliment on something we weren't proud of. The lesson I took out of the evening was that you're going to have tiny crowds sometimes and you've just got to deal with it. I also learned there's a way to get past a blank, there's probably not much point trying to save a joke you've messed up so just move on.

I headed home with Kim, not really saying much. I felt like I'd let her down. I was dreading the raw meat competition now. It was only in 2 weeks time too.  And that's what I'll blog about next time

Thanks for reading 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment